Sabancı University School of Management established the Article Awards in memory of Hakan Orbay. The results of this year's research award has been announced.
2015 Hakan Orbay Research Award Results:
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ümit Gürkan Gürün, Naveen Jindal School of Management, University of Texas at Dallas, “Resident Networks and Firm Trade”
- Mehmet Ihsan Canayaz, PhD Candidate, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford, “Is the revolving door of Washington a back door to excess corporate returns?”
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Cem Demiroğlu, CASE, Koç University, “ Indicators of Collateral Misreporting”
Sabancı University School of Management establishes research awards in memory of faculty member Hakan Orbay, who passed away in 2011. The awards are open to all theoretical and applied work in finance and microeconomics; however, of special interest are works in theory of firm, contract and incentive theory, applied and theoretical work in company financing and corporate governance, and research dedicated to understanding emerging markets.
Award Jury: Istanbul Bilgi University Faculty Member Benan Zeki Orbay, Sabancı University Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Members Eren İnci and İzak Atiyas, and Sabancı University School of Management Faculty Members Koray Deniz Şimşek, Aziz Şimşir, Yiğit Atılgan, Melsa Ararat, and Nakiye Boyacıgiller.
- Papers may be submitted in Turkish or English.
- Only original papers that have not yet been published will be considered. Papers submitted to a journal for assessment may be submitted to the award.
- Winners are expected to mention the award in the published versions of their papers, and present their papers at the award ceremony.
- Applicants must be younger than 40 years of age.
Short Bio of Hakan Orbay:
After graduating from Ankara Science High School in 1979, Hakan Orbay received his undergraduate degrees in Electrical Engineering and Physics from Boğaziçi University in 1983. He obtained his Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering from Calgary University and subsequently returned to Turkey to work in the Information Technology area of the banking sector between 1988-1991. He kept close links with academia during those years and eventually went to the U.S. for his doctoral studies in 1991. After obtaining a Ph.D. in Economics from Stanford University, Graduate School of Business, he worked as a faculty member at Koc University until 1999. Next, he joined the Sabancı School of Management during its establishment years and worked there as a faculty member until his untimely death in 2011. Hakan Orbay produced original research in microeconomics and finance and made important contributions to the establishment and development of the Sabancı School of Management, Istanbul, Turkey.
2014 Hakan Orbay Research Award Results:
- Asst. Prof. Mathis Wagner, Department of Economics, Boston College, “Immigrants versus Natives? Displacement and Job Creation”
- Dr. Haluk Çitçi, Faculty of Business Administration, Gebze Institute of Technology, “Agency and Transparency in Financial Markets”
- Asst. Prof. Aygün Dalkıran, Department of Economics, Bilkent University, “Limits of Reputations”
For more information: email@example.com